[Gllug] Logo as a first language

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Mar 4 17:39:19 UTC 2005

Richard Jones writes:

>Miranda's a rather elegant teaching language.  Unfortunately the only
>implementation is non-free.

Hmmm. David Turner was one of my lecturers at University, so
unsurprisingly, we had a fair amount of exposure to Miranda.

I'd agree that it's a reasonably good introduction to functional
programming[1]. But is functional programming a good place to start
when teaching programming concepts in general? I'm not so sure
(although I can definitely see some advantages).

Tet

[1] Like you say, though, it suffers from a non-free implementation,
    which is a huge flaw in my book, particularly for teaching -- if
    you can't play around with a language on your home machine, what
    chance do you have of being able to learn it?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk