[Gllug] skype

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 20:08:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:03:19 +0000, Liam Delahunty <liamvictor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On the windows machine I use Gossiptel www.gossiptel.com as it allows
> incoming calls (to a 0870 number) from a normal phone, and when I
> looked at skype it didn't allow non VoIP calls. (Admittedly a while
> back it may do now)

I picked up a flyer at Paddington station this week offering free
skype calls over any 'Ready to Surf' Wireless Hotspots.

So you can sit in these hotspots and make voice calls without paying
for the bandwidth, not bad.

However not so useful for me as when I went to download the Linux
client for Skype there is no version compiled for PowerPC.

Reminded me that no matter how cool or useful the app, you lose out at
some stage if you don't have the source to be able to build it
yourself.

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk