[Gllug] Re: Gates to get Knighthood!!!

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Wed Mar 2 17:18:05 UTC 2005

* Rich Walker <rw at shadow.org.uk> [050302 17:12]:
> Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> writes:
>
> > * John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> [050302 16:52]:
> >>
> >> But without Bill Gates getting there, someone else undoubtedly would have.
> >
> > Someone would have broken the solo round the world sailing record if
> > Ellen McArthur hadn't.  Bill Gates was one of the people responsible for
> > shaping today's technological world, and he's being rewarded for it.
>
> Did *anyone* watch the coverage of this?
>
> He's being rewarded for putting $4 billion into his charitable
> foundation. (We have Melinda to thank for that, I think. The Channel 4
> News interview was ... interesting)

No: from the Queen's website (also see references in other government
websites and quotations from Jack Straw)

* 2 March 2005
*
* BILL GATES RECEIVES AN HONORARY KNIGHTHOOD
*
* Bill Gates has received an honorary knighthood from The Queen in a
* private ceremony held at Buckingham Palace on 2 March 2005.
*
* The honorary award recognizes Mr. Gates' contributions to improving
* health and reducing poverty in parts of the Commonwealth and elsewhere
* in the developing world, as well as his contribution to enterprise,
* employment, education, and the voluntary sector in the United Kingdom.

So it's for both elements.  The reporting of this has stressed one over
the other depending on political motivation of the reporter.

jack