[Gllug] ADSL problem

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 16:58:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Chris Bell murmured woefully:
> On Mon 28 Feb, Nix wrote:
>    The replacement system uses parallel phones and up to 4 "high impedance"
> (about 1K ohms) sounders connected in parallel across the bell circuit
> provided by a capacitor at the master box. Some locations were pre-wired,
> and fitted with master boxes that meet the BT electrical spec, but were not
> supplied by BT and can have different external designs. They will obviously
> not accept the BT style front panels.

My house was built recently: it's probably got this, although the front
panel has a BT logo on it and so is presumably BT-sourced.

>    The BT style master box and replacement front panel, together with an
> ADSL modem located close by, may be noticeably better if you are in a
> marginal location or have extensive cabling for local phone extensions.

Ah, well, with one phone and a huge ~50-metre wire run between the house
and the exchange, I don't think I need to worry ;}}

>    In my case, I have dropped a Cat5 cable under the ground floor from the
> master box near the front door to the rest of the system, where it pops out
> between the floorboards.

Alas, this is kind of hard with a poured concrete floor. (It's got pipes
and stuff buried in it: periodically I have nightmares about one of the
pipes bursting. :/ )

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk