[Gllug] RAID on laptop or xfs?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Mar 31 23:52:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Russell Howe uttered the following:
> Even worse, some drives *IGNORE* a request to disable write caching! In
> this case, there isn't a whole lot the filesystem can do other than take
> a guess at the state of the drive (although I think I read something on
> the linux-xfs list talking about cache barriers or something...).

A lost cause, if you ask me: if a drive's so loony nonstandard as to
ignore cache disable requests, why on earth would it respect the (much
less frequently implemented) cache barrier ops?

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk