[Gllug] Anyone having broadband (probably PlusNet) problems today?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Mar 24 01:22:34 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 Mar 2005 00:04 am, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 23 Mar, Russell Howe wrote:
> > Doubt it'll work. I need to use PPPoA, but haven't yet got a
> > workable solution that allows me to terminate the PPP link on my
> > firewall.
>
>    Not sure what you are trying to do, but I thought it was possible
> to allocate a non-routeable IP address to the ADSL modem, which is
> just used to convert PPPoA to ethernet, and allocate the official IP
> address to the firewall.

I do this (I think) with a Conexant unit. The ADSL router has a routable
IP on the external connection, and a non-routable one on the internal.
The gateway/firewall has THE SAME IP on its external interface
(connected to the router by ethernet) and a routing rule to access the
router's internal address. The upshot is that only the gateway needs to
do NAT and port forwarding etc as the router simply hands over all
packets. A down side is that it can be somewhat arcane to re-establish
a connection if the ADSL link dies since the router will only talk to
one box in this config, and then only when it has assigned the IP by
dhcp with 60second leases. I'd much prefer to have the router be a
truly transparent bridge.

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"