[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Tue Mar 8 22:21:29 UTC 2005

>> // :/wq is the only vi command I know, or have ever needed to know.
>
> Thats a bit like me. Unfortunately I don't know much more about emacs,
> although I do use emacs.
> The vi command I do know is :wq! which writes to a write protected file. If I
> knew how to do this in emacs I wouldn't need to exit emacs and load vi to
> achieve this feat.

When you load the write-protected file, emacs doesn't let you change it.
What you can do is just use
 	M-x toggle-read-only
and then edit the file. When you want to save the file, emacs will ask you
whether you want to override the write-protection...

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk