[Gllug] Logo as a first language

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 10:44:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:11:24AM +0000, Russell Howe wrote:
> These days I don't really see a reason not to start people off on one of
> the interpreted object oriented languages, although I haven't really
> used any of them :)

I have to say it, the guy that teaches software engineering here at Essex has
something of a legend status. He even has a little bunch of students that
pretty much worship him, His name is John Foster, He really is fantastic.
knows his way around any language and has actually had to survive the real
world of programming working on such things as telephone switch software* at
BT a while back.

He came up with 'foster's metric' for measuring program size (purely to work
out the amount one developer can handle and probably as a bit of fun)

It basically uses miles to measure program code.
http://www.darkspace.org.uk/gwi.pl?pg=fosters_metric

Over the last few years he has taught me LaTeX, csh, tcl, java and (a little
bit of C)

I must mention though, that whenever I need to write a program, the words 'hmm
yeah, ill write that in java' never ever ever enter my brian...

*2 miles at 6 lines per inch of paper.

--
Ian Norton-Badrul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk