[Gllug] Best single CD Linux distro

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at lineone.net
Sat Mar 19 18:53:09 UTC 2005

--
Matthew Cooke <mpcooke3 at lineone.net>

Hi John,

Thanks for your email. I did some rough timings on Ubuntu this
afternoon:

Ubuntu Linux 400Mhz PII 64Meg Dell Optiplex
              * Boot time - 3 minutes
              * OpenOffice? - 2 minutes
              * Firefox - 25 Seconds
              * Evolution - 25 Seconds

      * Ubuntu Linux 400Mhz PII 128Meg Dell Optiplex
              * Boot time - 2:10 minutes
              * OpenOffice? - 52 seconds
              * Firefox - 13 Seconds
              * Evolution - 13 Seconds

As you can see OpenOffice is the worse performing component by far which
would probably be the case on most systems and i'm not convinced
switching to XFCE will help much.

I think I'd rather stick with a standard distro if at all possible. I
have done some work on a more complex network based install that could
push any distro onto the machines and I may look at a custom Ubuntu
distro for that later (If they are still interested in pre-installing at
ComputerAid).

Overall Ubuntu seems like possibly the only choice given KDE memory
requirements and the requirements to have it on a single CD and easy
installation. Although the openoffice load time of 2 minutes on a 64Meg
machine wasn't great it did work once it had loaded and I believe we are
currently only shipping around 23% 64Meg machines so it won't be too
long till 128Meg becomes minimum spec anyway.

The offer to burn CDs comes from the UN who have offered to do it for
free and I kind of think it would be better to take them up on it before
they or someone else loses interest - rather than dithering too long
over the possibility of a custom distros etc, They originally offered us
Morphix but it wouldn't load well on 64Meg and the install to disk
option required using cfdisk so I've been delaying things a bit till we
could find something more suitable.

Matt.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk