[Gllug] OT: Tomcat & Apache mapping problem

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 17:17:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 15:33 +0000, Steve Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:18:11 +0000, Mike Brodbelt
> <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > If I want to see what shells people have, I just do:-
> >
> > cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $7}'
>
> Or to avoid unnecessary cat and pipe usage:
>
> cut -d: -f 7 /etc/passwd

Ah, but I like cats :-). Actually, there are lots of things I learnt how
to do one way, and then subsequently found a "more efficient" way of
doing same later. However, in many cases I stuck with my original
pattern - not out of any conscious decision, but just because I never
got round to breaking my original habit. I'm guilty of lots of egregious
catting, but I only pay attention to these sorts of things if I'm
writing shell. And typically my shell scripts are utterly trivial - if
they're not they end up as perl. Is there anyone else out there with
lots of bad habits they know they should shed, but never seem to get
around to?

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk