[Gllug] [OT] Monitoring CPU usage on OS X with SNMP

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Mar 8 11:21:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Simon Morris wrote:

>Hello guys,
>
>I've set up cacti to monitor some servers I look after, a mix of Linux
>and OS X Servers.
>
>SNMP is working fine on all of them with remote snmpwalks getting lots
>of information, but only the Linux servers report their CPU and memory
>usage.
>
>Looking at one counter as an example:
>
>Trying to get the UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCPURawNice
>
>snmpget -v2c -c snmpro $OSX_SERVER .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.51.0
>
>UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawNice.0 = No Such Object available on this agent at
>this OID
>
>snmpget -v2c -c snmpro $LINUX_SERVER .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.51.0
>UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawNice.0 = Counter32: 32
>
>Any ideas why Linux is happy to release it's CPU information but OS X is
>not?

What agent is running on the MacOS box? UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawNice.0 is
part of the UCD-SNMP part of the MIB, and thus only available with
UCD-SNMP agents.

Even if the MacOS machine is running the UCD-SNMP agent, it may not have
been sufficiently ported to MacOS to provide that information.

>Thanks
>
>~sm

Christian

--