[Gllug] Re: Gates to get Knighthood!!!

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Mar 2 17:11:17 UTC 2005

Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> writes:

> * John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> [050302 16:52]:
>> > Yes maybe someone else would have got there BUT they didn't
>>
>> But without Bill Gates getting there, someone else undoubtedly would have.
>
> Someone would have broken the solo round the world sailing record if
> Ellen McArthur hadn't.  Bill Gates was one of the people responsible for
> shaping today's technological world, and he's being rewarded for it.

Did *anyone* watch the coverage of this?

He's being rewarded for putting $4 billion into his charitable
foundation. (We have Melinda to thank for that, I think. The Channel 4
News interview was ... interesting)

This is a traditional reputation-laundering technique - someone makes a
lot of money by a dodgy technique, and then gives a significant sum to
"good causes" which magically erases from history how they made their
money.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml