[Gllug] PS - memory use

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 15:33:01 UTC 2005

I am trying to work out how much memory a bunch of processes are using.
'ps' seems the obvious tool until you try to work out quite what the options mean.

ps has the nice --format option so I can choose what I see.

Just to make it more complicated I don't want to double count, if I have several
httpd processes I don't want to add up the memory that contains the code several
times but once. I want to count shared memory (primarily .so files).

Not quite so simple. What do you use ?

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.