[GLLUG] Slightly OT - Netiquette at work

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:01:55 UTC 2005

Hello gang,

I've been grumbled at by managers for *not* top-posting at work!

The argument is that sometimes someone wants to forward the 'email
chain' to someone else, and info which has been trimmed as no longer
relevant to the discussion is missing, so rather than sending one
'chain', more than one email has to be sent.

"Everyone else" top-posts, why should I be different?  Please follow
'the standard'.

I've explained why I don't top-post and pointed out that its even
mentioned in RFC1855 as bad form, but I am in the minority.

 I even gave an example of a long email 'chain' that was redolent of
the movie Memento - it would take a very long time, reading in
reverse, to have any idea what the thread was about.  I tried pointing
out that if everyone followed the -real- standard, we wouldn't be
having the conversation!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Does one just have to put on a corporate face and play along with the
top-posting, html-crazy masses?

Or is it worth being different and refusing to comply?

I feel a bit crap about it to be honest - but maybe its a lost battle,
and not worth worrying about?

Thoughts?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk