[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Mar 9 15:59:06 UTC 2005

John Hearns now of Streamline-computing.com     vi

I'm a systems engineer fer godssake :-)
I fix broken systems, doing magic in front of customers using no more
than a USB stick and a sleight-of-hand with a Knoppix CD.
Don't give me bloated, memory hungry emacs.

In fact, when I was merely a padewan, I saw a real Unix guru save a
borked Sun system using ed. Badly enough borked not to have vi.
So the editor you should learn to use is ed.
(Cue tales of gurus reviving systems using only the shell intrinsics)

In fact, forget that. Real editing is knowing which holes to tape
over to save punching a whole new card.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk