[Gllug] The netwroked house - a terminal in every room >;)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 09:37:21 UTC 2005

On Tue 08 Mar, John Hearns wrote:

> I once saw a tiny wiring cabinet intended for the home market,
> which would take both network and telephone traffic over the cat 5
> (you can also do video over cat 5 with baluns).
> The company sold a small hub to fit int he cabinet.
>
> If I find the company I will email - but these cabinets were in things
> like the Misco catalogue at the time.

   There is a large range of cabling hardware available, with a
corresponding range of capacities, from a 2U or 3U folding wall mounted
frame to hold patch panels to a full height totally enclosed cabinet, with
optional shelves and fans. Some manufacturers such as AMP even make two
ranges of RJ45 connectors, for stranded or solid UTP cables, so you can just
plug in for a permanent installation. Make sure you connect the pairs for
ethernet, there are at least three different standards and only one is
correct. You are some way away from my local supplier, but you could get
things mail order from NetShop

http://www.NetShop.co.uk

--
Chris Bell