[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Mar 10 00:50:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, David Damerell mused:
> On Wednesday, 9 Mar 2005, Tethys wrote:
>>As a serious question, though, what could you want to do in terms
>>of editing text that you can do with emacs, but can't do with vi
>
> Nothing, assuming you don't have a broken vendor vi - but the question
> is, how _easy_ is it? For example, Emacs's make/debugger integration
> is very shiny - it's the good bits of an IDE, without the GUI crap and
> the compulsion to use all of a particular toolchain. Nothing to stop
> you writing code in vi and running make commands via shell escapes -
> later vi* even have TAGS integration - but it's more work.

I also know a number of people who use Emacs *only* for Gnus, and who
use viper to make message composition use the same sorts of keybindings
as all their other editing.

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk