[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Mon Mar 7 21:50:57 UTC 2005

>> The editor is strongly modal: you're typing text or doing other things,
>> never both at once, and you need to explicitly switch (ESC goes one way,
>> `i' and `a' and a myriad of other keystrokes go the other way).
>
> I dispute that vi is modal - any more than Emacs is modal because you
> are in "minibuffer command mode" whenever you type M-x. vi has insert
> commands and they take potentially lengthy arguments, that's
> all.

There still is a difference. For commands that are bound to key sequences,
you won't need M-x. Whereas in vi you can't circumvent using ESC mode
switches...

(Though, strictly speaking it might be argued that the C-x / C-c prefixes
are also kind of modal).

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk