[Gllug] Re: Gates to get Knighthood!!! (Andrew Halliwell)

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Mar 2 16:17:57 UTC 2005

"David Abbishaw" writes:

>I'm sorry and I'll probably have millions of people shooting at me for this
>comment BUT - If it wasn't for Bill Gates PC's would not be as they are
>today, he is responsible for bringing computers to the masses.  And without
>cheap and readily available Intel x86 computers where would Linux be today?

Without Bill Gates, we would still have cheap and readily available
computers. They would probably be different to the ones we have today,
but they'd still be there. That fact owes a lot more to IBM than it
does to MS. Bill just happened to be in the right place at the right
time to capitalise on a good thing, and then once there, he used dodgy
business practices to ensure that others didn't get a piece of the pie.

Not behviour that has positively contributed to the UK in any real
sense, and not the sort of thing for which we should be awarding
a knighthood. Indeed, had MS not been around, we may well have
seen other companies provide something much better. One can only
wonder what may have happened had Apple's Star Trek project not been
canned...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk