[Gllug] Logo as a first language

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Mar 3 19:06:31 UTC 2005

John Southern wrote:
> Does anyone remember logo? Not icons, but the programming language.
>
> Having collected my youngest from school, I find that as a four year old, she
> is being taught how to program a Roamer turtle 'bot in logo.
>
> My question is, apart from school turtles, is anything ever written in logo?

Must say I've never seen anything. I'm sure someone will explain it runs
   the guidance systems for cruise missiles or something though :-)

> Also what would be the idea programming language you would learn if you had to
> start all over again today?

You might like to have a look at Squeak - it's a Smalltalk derivative.
Haven't done more than play with it, but it provides a lot of instant
gratification.
   http://www.squeak.org/

--
   Richard Huxton