[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Mar 9 11:25:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:39:15AM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Ian Norton writes:
>
> >Isn't there some freakyness that makes emacs behave *exactly* like vim?
>
> No. There's some horrible hack that makes emacs behave like an ad hoc
> informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of vi.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=7240%40ncoast.UUCP&output=gplain

<quote>
To win a bet I wrote a set of vi macros that let vi simulate a Turing
Machine.  Since Turing Machines are universal computational devices,
this should settle the editor wars debate for once and for all.

Other editors may have better user interfaces than vi, but they are
certainly no more "powerful".
</quote>

Rich.

--