[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Sat Mar 5 18:12:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Ian Norton wrote:
[...]
> b. emacs has alot of keyboard shortcuts.

First off, Ian, well put! Both editors definetely have their place. (Just
for those interested - on this issue, I (mainly) subscribe to the "emacs
religion").

Regarding keyboard shortcuts - there are two additional aspects in emacs
use that I found very helpful, and that I (since I've known emacs) missed
in other editors.

- Emacs (IIRC) often just "does the right thing" without you actively
   calling up a specific function of the editor.  (e.g. emacs was the first
   editor I've known that really did "smart" indentation for source code;
   not just maintaining the previous indentation levels that other older
   code editors did, but really automatically judge when and how much
   indentation is needed, and for how long; also, in emacs, if you open
   up a tar file, it gets opened in dired and emacs will allow you to
   edit the contents (individual files within the tar archive) without
   you having to learn tar syntax.

- For commands you use occasionally (just not long enough to really
   remember the keyboard shortcut, you can activate the command through
   its full function name; e.g. M-x replace-string  (and to help you
   remember, there, of course, is a completion available for those as
   well...)

(But, yes, before the vi-"heretics" come along with their grillings -
there is a place for both editors; and I even occasionally use vi, though,
admittedly I don't really know much more than basic navigation... ;-)

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk