[Gllug] PS - memory use

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 15:01:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Alain Williams yowled:
> I didn't think that it was that easy. What I am trying to do is to
> work out how much memory I need on a box so that it doesn't
> swap. Given X apache processes, Y mysql processes, etc, etc. Using
> top/ps shows what it is doing now, but it doesn't really help me to be
> sure where the memory is going.

When I've needed to do it, I've written little hacky programs that touch
a heap of memory and mlock() themselves, and then run those with
different parameters to block chunks of physical memory out of action,
and watched swap and paging activity. That'll tell me how much I
*need* in normal operation...

... but then you have to account for load spikes, which is a black
magic `that feels right' area in any case. :)

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk