[Gllug] RE: Gllug Digest, Vol 21, Issue 15

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Mar 3 16:01:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005, Stephen Harker stipulated:
> David Abbishaw wrote:
>> Very good - Now who do I blame for my Outlook not using the chevrons
>> correctly - by all account MS must have bought Outlook (and office) and
>> rebadged it and just marketed it better than anyone else.
>
> Actually, Outlook can be configured to quote correctly, it just
> doesn't by default.

s/quote correctly/quote half-correctly/

it still tries to word-wrap quoted lines and gets it wrong (it doesn't
take the quote marks into account at all), leading to staircase quoting
effects. Worse, it does this *after you hit send*, so the only way to
ensure your message is correctly quoted is to work out the (seemingly
undocumented) quote margin and ensure by hand (or by using a different
editor) that all quoted lines are shorter than that.

It's fantastically irritating.

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk