[Gllug] Re: Gates to get Knighthood!!! (Andrew Halliwell)

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Thu Mar 3 15:35:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jack Bertram wrote:

>> Without such an insatiable parasite hooked onto it it might also have
>> been quite a lot better.
>
>Whatever.  Do you have any justification for this?

For a start, we may not have been stuck with a single tasking, polling
synchronous IO operating system mess that was MS-DOS until 1995! DOS held
the industry back to 1983 PC standards for over ten years. In that time,
for example, SUN had moved from 68K and VME bus, through i386 with ISA,
and SPARC on VME, SBUS and finally PCI, and gone from a 32-bit platform to
64-bit platform, with barely a hiccup by comparison. Similar story from
HP, DEC, IBM and all the other vendors who's operating systems actually
isolated the programs from the hardware, and all without 8.3 filename
restrictions!

>jack

Christian

--