[Gllug] Government Advertises 'Linux Servers'

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Mon Mar 14 22:28:31 UTC 2005

Today I noticed an AdSense advert, on a linux related page, titled
'Linux Server' which pointed at http://www.businesslink.gov.uk

I was interested to see what my government was spending my tax money on
so I clicked on the link, it took me a while to locate any reference to
Linux on the site but eventually I found this (apologies for the long
link, this is as short as I could get it):

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073791277

I'm not sure about their definition of Open Source, but at least it's
there.  Also there's a link to a DTI PDF on the same page which seems
quite reasonable and well balanced until it gets to page six ("there
aren't the handy manuals, installation guides and support helplines that
come with proprietary software" - a bit sweeping I thought).

Still the government is promoting open source, sort of.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk