[GLLUG] Slightly OT - Netiquette at work

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 16:13:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 04:01:55PM +0000, Steve Nelson wrote:
> Hello gang,
>
> I've been grumbled at by managers for *not* top-posting at work!

<mumble> people not intelligent enough to use computers ... </mumble>

It is all too common, emails then end up getting longer & longer as
people only view the first page or so, much of the extra size is taken
up with multiple copies of the same disclaimer notice.

You end up clogging up the email with cr*p because people cannot be bothered
to make the mail clear & succinct before sending it out to all 38 people
who absolutely need to read the cretinous words from some moron [[it is Friday]].

OK: how to convince them ?

Ask them if they know what is in the rest of the mail that they are
putting their name to. Point out that there may be confidential information
that they are disemminating beyond the intended readers - do they want
to be responsible (you don't which is why you trim).

> "Everyone else" top-posts, why should I be different?  Please follow
> 'the standard'.

Say that if you wanted to work for an organisation that invents its own
standards in spite of good RFCs that you would have gone to work for M$.

> I've explained why I don't top-post and pointed out that its even
> mentioned in RFC1855 as bad form, but I am in the minority.

Good luck

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.