[Gllug] Memtest86+

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 11:16:28 UTC 2005

Hello,
   If I run Memtest86+ to check a number of memory sticks on one box I may
get a memory fault indicated, usually a single bit error which is repeatable
on a stick. Memtest86+ reports the SDRAM clock speed with PC100 as 200MHz,
while the motherboard BIOS reports 100MHz.
   If I run Memtest86+ to check the same memory sticks on a Gigabyte
GA-7VEML box I get many memory faults indicated, usually single bit errors
which are repeatable on a stick. If I choose the BIOS optimum defaults with
auto DRAM speed Memtest reports the SDRAM clock speed with PC100 as 260MHz,
while the motherboard BIOS reports 100MHz SDRAM.
   If I choose the fail-safe BIOS defaults or manual SDRAM clock selection
Memtest reports the SDRAM clock speed with PC100 as 240MHz with slightly
fewer errors.
   Similar speed anomalies are reported for PC133 SDRAM.
   Can anyone tell me anything about the accuracy of the clock rates as
reported by Memtest86+ ? I have tried installing the latest BIOS available
on the Gigabyte website, but the reported SDRAM clock rates did not change.
   The motherboard handbook has lots of information about a M$ Windows
facility to overclock the AMD Athlon processor, supplied on CD with the
motherboard. I am not interested in overclocking, I just want a reliable
computer.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk