[Gllug] Anyone having broadband (probably PlusNet) problems today?

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 09:29:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:51:10AM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
> Just had a quick look at the Cnx-ADSL stuff I have on my box, it has
> source-based[1] drivers that deal with talking to the modem and interfacing
> it with the ATM system in linux. it also includes a firmware download app
> which you  need to run after loading the driver, otherwise the card ignores
> everything.
>
> It's source claims to read a hex record and converts it to a binary format
> and uploads it to the modem.
>
> I dare say this could be reverse engineered as it's the ARM object code
> (maybe thumb) for this modem (it has a standard ARM7 chip plonked on).

Ah, well then yes, the modem will have firmware, so perhaps the Conexant
driver isn't supplied in binary format, just the firmware...

> Indeed, you could probably find that this modem could run linux :-)

heh, ssh'ing to a PCI card... you might even be able to use it as a
combination DSL card and service processor :)

> Ill have to get the latest madwifi drivers, I'm still using the hybrid
> free/closed driver and I get some wierd stuff when running at anything over
> 30mbits.

I don't know if the madwifi drivers have the open source implementation
of their binary chunk integrated into their tree - you may well find
that they refuse to, citing the supposed FCC restrictions.

> [1]the first lines of one file I have from them reads :
> ****   CONFIDENTIAL and  PROPRIETARY --
> ****            No Dissemination or use without prior written permission.'

So it's not BSD-licensed, then? :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk