[Gllug] [OT] PHP + SMS or free SMS http gateway

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Mar 21 13:38:50 UTC 2005

This one time, at band camp, Mike Leigh wrote:

> I have a requirement to send SMS messages via PHP.  I have seen a few of
> these sites in the UK essendex and sms2email that offer http services.
> However I am looking for a free provider of SMS messages as I don't mind any
> advertising going with my messages.  I am looking to send maybe 20 per
> month.  Has anyone else done this type of thing.  I would like to negate the
> 12p message fee and am curious as to what other people use for this type of
> service.  Should I just bite the bullet and pay £6 for an account with
> sms2email.

If you're only sending the messages to your own phone, switch to Virgin
and buy another (crappy) phone and SIM on Virgin.  3p texts.

There are tools to use the free services, but they need to be regularly
updated to keep working as the providers change the way their sites
work.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Just because you're on holiday, doesn't mean you're not a geek.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor
and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect
each from the other.
- Politicians and Other Scoundrels by Ferdinand Lundberg