[Gllug] Understanding ntop

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 16:47:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 04:08:40PM -0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> All,
>
> I now have ntop running, as per the recommendation here. One
> question is, how do I interpret the output. I am monitoring a
> single network adaptor (eth0) and the web output shows a
> breakdown of bandwidth by site and also shows one for the ip
> of eth0. Do I need to total all of these up or just look at
> eth0? Is there a page that gives the overall bandwidth
> utilisation ?

Beware ntop .....

I just downloaded it & ran it and noticed that it made a connection
to the author's site: //jake.unipi.it/, this is somewhat worrying
since it asked me to enter an administrator's password - which has
now been changed.

It is possible that he is just seeing who is running it, but I
don't like this sort of thing.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256