[Gllug] How to prove a computer is overheating.

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Sat Mar 19 12:25:21 UTC 2005

One more old email... :)

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:41:09AM +0000, Peter Childs wrote:
> 	Another strange thing is the Air Con in the server room is
> happeier in the summer when the heating is switch off. (ie less likly to
> break)

We noticed this - the air con would freeze up if we had a cold snap.

Eventually after much bitching, and server downtime due to overheating
(the server room is small, and so when the aircon fails, it heats up
rapidly) we had a larger unit installed (relocated from elsewhere in the
office).

A couple of days later, I went to switch on our old test server, which
I'd powered down to try and reduce the heat output while the aircon was
dodgy, and it was warm to the touch...

This was a bit odd, and then I saw the radiator behind it...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk