[Gllug] CD-Rom Writing,

ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed May 4 21:48:48 UTC 2005

nix at esperi.org.uk wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2005, Russell G. Howe uttered the following:

> > This is just the cdrecord author having a bitch at Linux.
>
> Yes. Most of the warnings mean `Linux is not exactly the same as Solaris
> in every respect, and treats ATAPI devices like IDE devices from the
> user POV'.
>
> Schilling actually thinks that users *like* referring to IDE drives via
> SCSI LUNs. I've never seen anyone agree with him, but that won't stop
> a religious zealot... I think all those years slaving over the insane
> standards violations of CD writers has driven him into kookery or
> something.

Well he's a Solaris man. I think it's Sun's fault. As Solaris 10 won't run on ancient SPARCs, I recently bought an Ultra5, which is the cheapest machine the SPARC version will run on. This is a recent (ish) built-to-a-price Sun workstation with IDE, while the old ones always had SCSI. Would you think this thing had an IDE disk?:

ultra5 /home/sctd09 sctd09 > df -k
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0     192056   61689  111162    36%    /
/devices                   0       0       0     0%    /devices
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3    1487119 1245700  181935    88%    /usr

etc. On a machine with actual SCSI, it looks exactly the same.

That's Solaris 10.

Jorg has written an excellent piece of software which will run on anything vaguely sane, even AIX, and he continues to maintain it and it continues to perform perfectly. I think the odd quirk is forgiveable.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk