[Gllug] 'lost' partition -- can anyone help?

Chris Hutchison chris.hutchison at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 18 15:24:08 UTC 2005

hi -- from a newbie

I've a problem: prior to upgrading from Mandrake 9.2 to Mandrake 10, I
installed a 2nd (120Gb) Maxtor hard drive and backed up all my existing
data (around 5Gb) to it so that I could do a clean install of Mandrake
10 on my old (40 Gb) drive.  I *KNOW* (and double-checked) that the
data was successfully copied to the new hard drive.

I then installed Mandrake 10, ensuring in the process that I
reformatted and repartitioned *ONLY* the original drive.  But then,
after rebooting and mounting the new HD, I found what seemed to be an
empty disk -- all backed-up data had disappeared from the back-up
drive.

I'm baffled (as well as being pretty peeved that 5 Gb of data seems to
have disappeared) but, alas, disgracefully ignorant about Linux and
what to do next.  These are the partitions I seem to have:

brw-rw----  1 root  disk   3,  0 May 18 10:48 hda
brw-rw----  1 root  disk   3,  1 May 18 10:48 hda1  (=root)
brw-rw----  1 root  disk   3,  2 May 18 10:48 hda2  (don't know)
brw-rw----  1 root  disk   3,  5 May 18 10:48 hda5  (=swap)
brw-rw----  1 root  disk   3,  6 May 18 10:48 hda6  (=home)
brw-rw----  1 root  disk   3, 64 May 18 10:48 hdb
brw-rw----  1 root  disk   3, 65 May 18 10:48 hdb1  (=new hard drive)

I then took a deep breath, swallowed hard, and plucked up the courage
to dig around with Partition Image 0.6.4 in the hope that I might find
my 5 Gb tucked away somewhere.  Hopelessly out of my depth, and unable
to make a great deal of useful sense of The Partimage Handbook
(http://www.partimage.org/doc/index-3.html), I was at least able to
read the following:

ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1   ext3fs      5.85 GiB     (=root)
ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2   -extended-               (don't
know)
ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5   swap (v1)   1.07 GiB     (=swap)
ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6   ext3fs      30.33 GiB    (=home)
ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1   ext3fs      114.50 GiB   (=new hard
drive)

I note that just over 5Gb of my new hard drive is unaccounted for
(114.5 / 120) ... am I being naively optimistic in suspecting that my
data may still be hidden there somewhere?  If anyone can advise ... and
in language simple enough to be understood by a Linux newbie (migrating
from Mac and WinPC), I'd be immensely grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk