[Gllug] Server ISP recommended?

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Fri May 13 12:05:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 12:04 +0100, Nix wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Jan Kokoska wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 22:02 +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> >> "If there is a substantial outage, we will always make an announcement.
> >> A minor PHP upgrade wouldn't normally be cause for alarm, except for the
> >> flakiness of PHP. You can't win with it, really. We had customers
> >> screaming that an upgrade needed to be performed because their sites
> >> don't work, you do the upgrade, and bang! you've blown away somebody
> >> else's site.
> >>
> >> I Hate PHP... Ack."
> >
> > OMG! That is very unprofessional, an ISP cannot say this to you.
>
> I personally like talking to people who sound like human beings and
> don't lie to you merely because of diplomacy.
>
> Compare that response, to, say, post-borging Demon Internet (in effect
> `we can't say a blessed thing as it might affect the share price').

A sysadmin ventilating his frustration at the client is above all
showing lack of skill in solving the problem at hand. Maybe I want
someone who actually is capable of sorting out the blo*dy PHP for me?

If they think *this* is hard, then I am changing the shop, simple as
that.

It was just an example, anyway, I don't use PHP myself, but I co-admined
a major ISP setup in another country for a year with 12 thousand sites,
some 5 thousand with PHP enabled.

Maybe now I just want to outsource maintaining the infrastructure to
someone capable, myself focussing on the apps (Python/Zope/Plone). But
watching this, I don't really want to do it, I really don't..

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk