[Gllug] 'lost' partition -- can anyone help?

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri May 20 21:21:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:57:38AM +0100, Chris Hutchison wrote:
> Many thanks to all those who responded with help and advice: I've
> learned a few things (but obviously need to learn more).  I reconcile
> myself to 5 Gb (=17 years) of data disappeared into the aether
> (mercifully most backed up on my Mac and PC).

Could it not be that that 5G of space that you think is 'missing' from
the drive never existed in the first place?

120GB doesn't mean 120*1024*1024*1024*8 bits of information when said by
a HD manufacturer.

If that's the case, then it looks like your previous partition was
overwritten by the new one that filled the disk (and if you created a
filesystem on that, it probably wrote all sorts of filesystem structures
over your data).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk