[Gllug] Upgrading thin ethernet....

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue May 10 08:09:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 01:48 +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 01:40 +0100, Liam Smit wrote:
>
> > That is a serious space constraint if you can't run a length of cat5/6
> > between the segments.
>
> It's accessibility and convenience more than space. The old cable has
> had things built on top of it that make it kind of hard to replace.

You need some RFC-6745 M.I.C.E protocol gear then.

Mouse IP Carrier Ethernet.
This has only recently become possible due to advances in USB keychain
devices being small enough to strap to the back of mice which run
through holes in the skirting.
Costs are minimal if you use local mice, rather than white mice from a
petshop.
A few problems are that the protocol training time can be long, as the
carriers have to be trained using small 'packets' of cheese.
Also in a feline environment, transmission can be lossy.

Some quick bandwidth calculations:
assume a full-duplex link of two mice
1Gig memory stick carried by each
each journey takes on average 60 seconds.
17 Mbps/second.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk