[Gllug] Dishonouring Redirects

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue May 24 01:30:46 UTC 2005

Steve Nelsone Wrote:...
> I just wondered if there was some way of seeing the information I say
> in the packet I pasted, and doing some kind of intelligent filtering
> based on the content of that packet.

You wont ever see that packet, it is the one from the squatter's server to some
random web browser.

your only bet is to have your website give a 401 to someone who has the
squatter's domain as the http referrer value.

>From what i can see, this is what happens.

1. web user goes to http://www.groupdanone.com
2. server at www.groupdanone.com responds with a http 301 moved to the web user
3. web user then goes to www.nestle.com

at step 3 all genuine traffic (not web robots etc) will have a referrer value
as the URL of the page that sent them to www.nestle.com, in this case it would
have http://www.groupdanone.com as this value,

you need make the content software (i assume you are using some) on www.nestle.com
respond with either a error 404 or a 301 redirect to the genuine danone site.

--
Ian Norton-Badrul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk