[Gllug] Bios flashing

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Sun May 22 08:10:52 UTC 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Liam Smit <liam.smit at gmail.com> wrote:-

 >> I've build a box from bits and pieces. The mobo,
 >> a Gigabyte GA-5AX, has Award Bios that goes back
 >> to 1999 and I'm trying to update this.
 >>
 >> Using a FreeDOS boot disk* with the flash upgrade
 >> which should, I believe, do the job, I get an
 >> error message "Insufficient Memory". What does
 >> this mean and how do I fix it?

 >In the wonderful world of DOS you need drivers to access your memory
 >above 640KB. Basically 640KB is directly addressable and then the
 >next 384KB is availble to load certain drivers into by using
 >commands like loadhigh <device driver name> in config.sys

 >You probably want to check that you have himem.sys loaded and that
 >you are using your extended (or is it expanded memory). This will
 >hopefully allow your flshing utility to get the job done as I'm
 >pretty sure it is complaining about the 1MB of base memory being
 >mostly used and not free. By loading everything you can into other
 >memory it should free up eough memory for you to flash it.

I had suspicions that the error was due to the above - problem
was that I never understood the 640k memory thing.
I got the utility from eSupport, and the unzipped file contains
only 'autoexec', 'awdflash', 'command', 'kernel.sys' and 'licence':
to this I added '5AX.F4' (Award's update).
eSupport will also do the whole thing online for around $30 -
so I wonder!.

 >The simplest solution would be to get a MS DOS boot disk from a
 >Win98 machine and use that.

This is what I shall do - I have, somewhere, a W98SE CD and a
bootdisk - another problem will be finding them!.

Many thanks, Liam, I now know what is what.

Regards,					John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk