[Gllug] Email servers.

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Fri May 13 10:38:44 UTC 2005

Wiehe, Simon wrote:

>>>from the postfix

>>>I had already done this and it worked fine. It just seems
>>>that any email
>>>client, Outlook or Thunderbird,
>>>are refused the connection. I am assuming that postfix is not
>>>authenticating
>>>in any way as the
>>>telnet did not require authentication.
ah but it is trying to authenticate, juts not in the way you are
expecting: you are attempting to relay mail out through postfix.
It is often reasonably strict about which hosts it allows to relay.
When you make an attempt to send email via postix, what do the postfix
logs say? my bet is something like 'relaying denied'
Now, I'm not a debian type, but on RedHat-style systems logs for postfix
(and probably Cyrus as well) go to /var/log/maillog vi the syslog 'mail'
facility.
one of the main realy controls in postfix is the 'myneteworks' parameter
this should help:
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html#relay_from

Stuart
--