[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun May 1 07:39:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 05:06:08PM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> No, of course not. But my point is that it is more likely you will
> require that reference manual with Perl, because it's more likely that
> you won't be familiar with any given construct even though you are a
> competent Perl programmer, as compared to a language like C where
> because of the paucity of constructs a competent programmer
> essentially has to know them all.

I think the 'push' example demonstrates quite well C's failings in
this area.  Since C is incapable of handling extensible lists, people
tend to write their own libraries to do it.

Examples:

glib http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/glib/glib-singly-linked-lists.html
c2lib http://www.annexia.org/freeware/c2lib/
DJB's stuff
libretto http://www.praeclarus.demon.co.uk/tech/libretto/
... and a million others

The worst thing about all this is that structures from one library
aren't compatible with structures from others.  Often it's not even
possible to use the libraries together in the same program, because
they are using weird memory tricks.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.