[Gllug] BIOS not detecting IDE hdrives

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Mon May 16 08:27:27 UTC 2005

I've had replies from John Winters, Russell Howe,
Chris Bell, Peter Joanes and Bernard Peek. Thanks
to all of you! I won't respond individually as
most of the suggestions I'd already covered, and
the problem has now mainly 'gone away'.

I continued 'picking at the problem' and getting
nowhere until late on Saturday, when, for reasons
I'll never understand, I took a 120Gig Maxtor Hard
Drive from my main box and swapped it for one of
the Fireballs (the one I thought may be suspect)
and both drives were 'seen' correctly by the BIOS.
An attempt at booting immediately before changing
the drive detected nothing, so I can't understand
what the problem was.

I said 'mainly gone away' as there still could be
something wrong with the Fireball. I'm trying to
install Puppy on it and keep getting segmentation
faults and script difficulties, but these may be
due to other factors (mainly my stupidity).

Again, thanks for the interest.		John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk