[Gllug] OSS in the wider world

Conrad Simon Jarrett conrad at theinterfacesystem.net
Wed May 4 09:57:53 UTC 2005

This is my first mailing to fellow Gllugites, so hello to one and all. I will
be going to the Lonix meet tonight, if anyone else is it would be good to put
faces to names, and vice-versa!

I am a new Linux user, having installed Suse 9.1 about 12 months ago, and am
not really into the scripting/language nuance side of things (yes, I was a
Windows Luddite beforehand) as I don't really have the time...

I am in the final throws of development of a global facilitation system, which
was first conceived in Bosnia in the spring of 1996. Rather than bore you all
to death with the background, etc., please take a look at the website as it
will answer some of your questions.

Since stumbling across Linux by pure accident (or coincidence?), I am firmly
of the view that OSS is the only feasible way to go for the initiative, as my
own experience with Suse has proved.

I have been using the past year to learn more about the intricacies of IT/IS
development, and am about two months away from pushing the project for
funding and first-stage (trial) implementation.

As I'm sure you'll appreciate (if you read the website info, that is!), in
view of the Tsunami disaster last year, Bosnia in the 1990's, Iraq as it is,
and even your neighbourhood estate, the implications of the system are
boundless. The developments in IT/IS and particularly OSS have brought my
vision closer to reality.

I subscribe to two Linux monthlies, which are helping, but I will need to ask
a variety of questions (many, I'm sure will be utterly "Doh, read the
manual/click that button!" type) to help me gain a better understanding of
the whole OSS thing, my own OS, as well as other related issues, so please
bear with me!

In the meantime, thanks for "listening" and I hope my work will help you with
yours - co-operation is the key to development, is it not?

Regards,
--
Conrad S. Jarrett,
Facile Princeps