[Gllug] Server ISP recommended?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri May 13 14:57:22 UTC 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Jake Jellinek murmured woefully:
> the engineer involved overstepped the mark. I think stating that he
> hated PHP (whilst no doubt true and maybe even justified) did show a
> lack of tact.

I thought that was a precondition for technical clue. ;}

> Ooops, what did I do? The director of a company mailing a Linux User
> Group, is that professional?

Communicating with people and acting like a human being rather than the
transcendent deities which we on the ground know directors to be[1] is
*obviously* unprofessional. Showing a vestige of personality is right
out for anyone working at any level for any company, ever. Examples of
how having a visible personality leads to instant catastrophe are shown
by the burned-out ex-companies run by Branson, Ellison, Gates, and Jobs;
they all collapsed long ago because everyone thought they were run by
people who were too unprofessional.

Or so some of my past bosses have appeared to believe.

It's nice to get reminded every now and then that this attitude isn't
held by everyone in the industry (it's probably just the big corps that
suffer from this particular disease).

[1] oh! look! by that definition, I'm the son of a goddess!

--
`End users are just test loads for verifying that the system works, kind of
 like resistors in an electrical circuit.' - Kaz Kylheku in c.o.l.d.s
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk