[Gllug] 32-bit CardBus in laptop

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun May 22 23:13:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 00:24 +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 10:04:04PM +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 17:43 +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
> >
> > > there arent alot of free-software linux drivers for 802.11g cards, do you know
> > > what make the card is?
> >
> > Hmmm - as far as I'm aware, there are absolutely zero free software
> > linux drivers for 802.11g hardware.
> >
> > > if it helps, my proxim orinoco silver 802.11a/b/g card uses the madwifi driver.
> >
> > That one still taints the kernel, and it doesn't work at all in ad-hoc
> > mode (as I found out the hard way). Kind of embarrassing that OpenBSD
> > can get good free support for some 802.11g hardware, and linux has
> > tainted stuff that doesn't actually work properly....
>
> I remember recently someone saying that there was some porting goin on from the
> bsd drivers.

That would definitely be a good thing. It would be nice if they ported
the BSD hal to the madwifi drivers too, so you could run them without
tainting the kernel. Though from what I've read the madwifi people don't
seem to see a binary only hal as a problem. It makes one wonder when
people will ever learn...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk