[Gllug] Server ISP recommended?

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Fri May 13 12:47:17 UTC 2005

Hi,

Just for the record, and of course we don't wish this to turn into a
public slanging match, we do take a keen interest in any complaint or
problem with our service.

I located the support ticket in question from 2 years ago to determine
who sent you this reply. The person in question no longer works for us.

We do in general prefer to have a reputation of friendliness and open
honesty with our tech support team than to worry unduly just about
professionalism for the sake of it. In this case however it may be that
the engineer involved overstepped the mark. I think stating that he
hated PHP (whilst no doubt true and maybe even justified) did show a
lack of tact.

You see, we don't employ sales people or support drones to answer
tickets, we employ highly opinionated intelligent technical geeks
(anyone on the list looking for work - seriously?). By and large we feel
our customers prefer to communicate directly to the people that can
solve the problem as quickly as possible than to have glossy vague
promises bandied about.

That said, if you go for our VIP managed services we can add all kinds
of account management layers to smooth the way for you :)

Ooops, what did I do? The director of a company mailing a Linux User
Group, is that professional?

Cheers,

Jake.

--