[Gllug] Upgrading thin ethernet....

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue May 10 07:52:03 UTC 2005

On Tue 10 May, John Hearns wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 01:12 +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > Just on the offchance that someone is aware of a solution to this...
> >

> > Is anyone aware of anything I can use to get more than 10Mbps of
> > bandwidth out of the coax?
> I remember working at the Hammersmith Hospital,
> where they had a broadband network which used coax.
> (Rather than today's loose usage of broadband meaning high bandwidth).
>
> I can't remember the brand name of the supplier, and it would be
> well nigh impossible to locate the kit. I'm not even sure it carried
> Ethernet.
> Then again, cable TV multiplexes a network link on coax in the street,
> so maybe there is some gear from that market.

   There are different grades of coax, with different insulators, and they
give very different high frequency performance. Your coax may be
manufactured to just cope with the 10base2 spec. On the other hand,
telephone cable is designed to give a flat frequency response to less than
10KHz, and we are complaining that it does not cope well with GHz over a few
kilometres.
   I assume that the old coax can't be used as a pull-through.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk