[Gllug] Virgin Atlantic "advanced" inflight entertainment system

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Sun May 1 10:34:00 UTC 2005

* @ 01/05/05 11:16:29 AM rich at annexia.org wrote:

> I was on a Virgin Atlantic plane for 12 hours yesterday.  The
> in-flight entertainment system (IFE) wasn't working to start off with,
> and was rebooted, revealing it to be Linux.  The fact that it didn't
> work afterwards wasn't a good reflection on the OS, even though the
> problem was blatantly badly written software.  I could tell by the
> shell scripts it ran at start-up, the nature of the failures, and the
> appalling user interface, that the level of software development clue
> wasn't high.

Which version did you get? Were you on an A340 or a 747?

The two I've had - one ran Linux and had a Super Nintendo emulator on it
with a game controller/ movie controller in it. It had crappy films, low
quality. The other was much higher resolution and had an integrated
phone instead with a card swipe on it and *lots* of films... Dont know
if it ran linux.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk