[Gllug] Thursday Grauniad

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 14:47:48 UTC 2005

On 19 May 2005, at 14:44, John Hearns wrote:

> I was a bit unsure about having my regular comment on the Online
> section of the Guardian this week.
>
> Jack Schofield's column this week on the Microsoft OneCare service
> (proposed subscription service for updates, security fixes, virus
> scanning, making sure backups are done....) at first didn't trouble me.
>
> But I did a double take on the point that:
> "OneCare could also encourage users to stick with Microsoft's
> utilities.
> What will happen, for example, when security holes are found in the
> Firefox browser, AOL's instant messaging software, RealNetwork's media
> player, and so on? I can't see OneCare rushing to the rescue."
>

> Eh? Didn't I just get a Firefox update this morning on my Fedora box?
> Don't Windows users get similar updates?
> Actually - is there an automatic (stress that) tool for updates
> to non MS software for Windows? (*)
> Class - discuss.

In fairness to Schofield (I'm going to hell for saying that), the point
he's making is that OneCare will only look after ms approved apps;
firefox doesn't fall into that category. OneCare will be part
revenue-stream, part control mechanism; those are MS' aims, rather than
platform-wide security.

John

www.ubuntulinux.org
linux for humans