[Gllug] Bios flashing

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Sat May 21 13:59:09 UTC 2005

Hi John

> I've build a box from bits and pieces. The mobo,
> a Gigabyte GA-5AX, has Award Bios that goes back
> to 1999 and I'm trying to update this.
>
> Using a FreeDOS boot disk* with the flash upgrade
> which should, I believe, do the job, I get an
> error message "Insufficient Memory". What does
> this mean and how do I fix it?

In the wonderful world of DOS you need drivers to access your memory
above 640KB. Basically 640KB is directly addressable and then the next
384KB is availble to load certain drivers into by using commands like
loadhigh <device driver name> in config.sys

You probably want to check that you have himem.sys loaded and that you
are using your extended (or is it expanded memory). This will
hopefully allow your flshing utility to get the job done as I'm pretty
sure it is complaining about the 1MB of base memory being mostly used
and not free. By loading everything you can into other memory it
should free up eough memory for you to flash it.

The simplest solution would be to get a MS DOS boot disk from a Win98
machine and use that.

Don't ask me how I remember this stuff, the last time I had to fiddle
with this aspect of DOS was many years ago.

cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk